The MKC can work with you to ensure that your cats will be looked after. They will live with us, as our family and over time we will find them a real, loving home that is based on your standards. You’ve seen how we do it on our page, you know we find the best possible homes and we never settle for “any home”.
We spend your donations solely on the cats. By donating or bequesting to the MKC, you can be sure your money goes to good use to helping those that cant help themselves and your cats come first. We don’t have fancy offices, committees or expensive wages and our staff are all volunteers.
You simply have to include wording in your will, passing care of your pets to us and a donation/bequest fee we will discuss with you and your solicitor. This donation can be financial or asset based (property etc).
If you would like to leave a legacy to the Mini Kitty Commune you can include the following paragraph when making or updating your Will :
“I leave $(See amounts and conditions below) to Mini Kitty Commune ABN 69 348 678 275 for its general purposes and I direct that the receipt of the secretary, treasurer, or other proper officer of that organization is a sufficient receipt for my Trustee and that my Trustee is not obliged to see to the application of this bequest.”
Additionally, if you are leaving your cats in the care of the MKC should you pass on, the appropriate wording can also be added
“As a condition of my donation/bequest, I request that the Mini Kitty Commune are entrusted with the care of my cats (Names and if you have them, Microchip numbers). The Mini Kitty Commune will be responsible for their welfare and ongoing management until they pass, they will be kept in appropriate healthy environment and if rehomed this must be to a quality indoor only home. The MKC must not surrender or euthanise my pets unless a qualified vet has deemed a condition as terminal or unhealthy for them”
Conditions and requirements
To maintain quality of care, rehome, MKC has a few minimal conditions.
The above wording will need to be adapted for your particular circumstances. For example you may wish to leave a percentage of your assets to the Mini Kitty Commune rather than a lump sum, or perhaps a particular valuable asset, such as shares, an antique, or real estate.
- At a minimum, a $5000 bequest per cat is the basic requirement.
- This is for cats only. MKC has no ability to take in dogs, reptiles or other pets. We know cats.
- It is for your pets only (EG, pets that are registered to you), and not a bequest to cover colony’s you have been feeding/neighbors cats or your childrens cats.
- We suggest you list out the names and if possible microchip numbers in your will request, (this will also deter someone slipping in their own instead if you pass)
- Understandably, there is a maximum number of animals that we can take at once. This number is 4 cats. If you wish to leave a legacy for more than 4 cats please contact us to discuss as we will need to establish support for this. This is purely as we dont have space for large groups of cats in a rush.
You should seek legal advice before using the recommended text and if you are concerned, email email@example.com and we will talk with your legal representatives to discuss.
What happens to your pets?
The MKC will treat your cats as we do our own rescues. They will not be dumped in a pound and they will undergo onboarding, assessment and then be rehomed according to the MKC’s ethical rehome policies.
- We will have all animals vet checked, health assessed and transfer any Pet Insurance agreements over.
- If the pets are in pairs/groups, we will keep them in these pairs. For larger groups we will assess appropriate pairing aimed at keeping families together.
- We will house your cats in an MKC foster home or our own homes, in a family environment. They will not go into a pound.
- If an emergency, we may board them at a vet/proper boarding facility for a short period.
- MKC will advertise, personality match and then rehome your cats in their family grouping through our normal ethical channels. (Indoor only, local to MKC, lifelong commitment, quality vet care)
- MKC will maintain the contact with any new adopters, just as we do with all adoptions
Basically, we will bring them into our family, just as we do with all cats and give them star treatment, vet work and quality food. We will rehome them to the best home, just as we always do with our many rescues.
It is not always easy to think about making your Will, but it is the only way you can be absolutely sure that your Estate will pass to those who you wish to benefit and that you can choose the person who will look after your affairs. By leaving clear and precise instructions about the disposal of your Estate, you will also save your loved ones from unnecessary distress at a time when they are least able to cope with it.
If you do not leave a valid Will, you are said to die ‘intestate’. Your estate will be divided according to legislation. No part of your estate will go to a charity if you die intestate, so whatever you may have ‘said’ about leaving a gift to a charity, the only way to ensure this will happen is by including a bequest to the charity in your Will.
Thank you for supporting the Mini Kitty Commune. If you are considering leaving a bequest or you would like any further information do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
We would love to hear from you . . and remember, the best bequest for your pet is for you to stay alive, look after yourself and your animals and be a great pet parent!
Derek, Melanie and the MKC Team
Mini Kitty Commune
The Mini Kitty Commune is a registered charity in Australia. We are licenced for fundraising Licence Number: CFN/23004
Licensee: Mini Kitty Commune Incorporated
Licence Status: Current. Licence Type: Charitable Fundraising
Start Date: 16/10/2013
New End Date: 15/10/2020
ABN: 69 348 678 275
We are a tax deductible gift recipient registered with the ACNC (Australian Charities and Not for Profit Commision.
See our ACNC registration here – http://www.acnc.gov.au/RN52B75Q?ID=31E9F8B7-A4A6-4DCB-B47E-A23C98E16217&noleft=1
See the ABN registration here – http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?SearchText=69348678275
Research the Mini Kitty Commune or visiting our community page here http://www.fb.me/minikittycommune
Our programs include
- Direct medical care for animals in need from kittens to seniors
- Helping carers who are working with abandoned animals
- Housing, feeding and cleaning litters of kittens and cats
- Providing knowledge and advice to people with animals
- Socialising and integrating animals that have been rescued
Thank you for considering supporting the Mini Kitty Commune. Our work can only continue because of you.